Leopoldstrasse is probably the most famous avenue in Munich. Along this 3.6 km long boulevard, the Bavarian capital shows its cosmopolitan side and delights with art, culture and culinary highlights. Lined by poplars and wide sidewalks, the boulevard-like promenade confidently exudes the splendor of earlier times.
The building is located in the inner-city Leopold Park, with a view of the Siegestor (Victory Gate), commissioned by Ludwig 1 in 1840 from the architect Friedrich von Gärtner. This is the boundary between the districts of Maxvorstadt and Schwabing and between Leopoldstrasse and Ludwigstrasse. In the immediate vicinity are the Academy of Fine Arts, Ludwig Maximilian University and the English Garden, Munich’s largest park and one of the 15 largest inner-city green spaces in the world. On the first floor, the building is home to the city-famous Italian restaurant Bar Giornale.
A complete renovation is planned for the property in the prime location, including the addition of new floors and the redesign of the façade. The current roof and storage floors of the freestanding corner building are to be demolished and two new stacked floors with flat roofs and terraces are to be built on the 5th and 6th floors.